Monday, July 28, 2008

The Ride Home

I was driving home from Austin with three friends fast asleep beside me and myself trying desperately not to drowse off lest I drive into a tree and blow the car up. Probably not the smartest thing to do but I didn't want to wake anyone and cause a disturbance. I was the weekend warrior martyr who sacrified herself to the highway gods and insisted on driving the 2:00 am shift.

Stupid.

But there was one saving grace. The patron saint of audio books, David Sedaris, read to me and his uncanny ability to make simple events into hilarious anecdotes kept me awake. It also got me thinking, ---maybe I could do that! Be witty and slightly self-deprecating but also disarmingly honest. But the truth is, I'm just an okay writer. The truth is that if I can get out a sentence that tells the point (subject, verb, predicate-in that order) without rambling on and on ad nauseum, then I'm doing okay.

Thus ends the thoughts on a great Austin weekend--a weekend filled with Mexican food and margaritas, lazy Comal river tubing, and Hippy Hollow moons.

There. No rambles. To the point. Thank you, David.

No comments: